Sometimes I’m not the one actually HOSTING the parties (although I love doing it)! In that case, I am always looking for a creative dish or dessert to bring to the host, especially on Fourth of July! Here are a few of my favorites. Remember, I usually start my 21 #FitFast on July 5th, so it is the last time I can cheat with a lot of foods! I still switch out sugar for Stevia or Coconut Crystals and try to make healthier choices, but I also will allow myself to indulge, just a bit! Happy Fourth of July!
- 8 c. cold water
- 2 c. Stevia
- 3 c. fresh lemon juice
- 3 strip lemon peel
- 1 c. raspberries
- 1 c. blackberries
- ice cubes
- seltzer or club soda
- Prepare Sweet syrup: In 4-quart saucepan, heat 4 cups water with Stevia and lemon peel to boiling over high heat, stirring occasionally. Cover saucepan and boil 3 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat.
- Meanwhile, in food processor, pulse berries until pureed. Pour into medium-mesh sieve set over large bowl and press berry mixture with back of spoon to remove seeds; discard seeds.
- Remove peel from syrup; stir syrup into berry puree with lemon juice and remaining 4 cups water. Makes 13 cups. Pour into large pitcher with tight-fitting lid. Cover and refrigerate until cold, at least 3 hours or up to 2 days. Serve over ice. Add seltzer to taste; garnish with berries and lemon slices.
Spicy Watermelon and Feta
Spicy Watermelon and Feta
- Sweet watermelon
- Red Pepper flakes
- Cold Pressed EVOO
- Crumbled Feta Cheese
- Drizzle watermelon slices with olive oil
- sprinkle with red pepper flakes
- Top with crumbled feta.
- ¼ c. Coconut Crystals
- ¼ c. water
- 1 c. blueberries
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 10 oz. angel food cake
- 2 c. strawberries
- ½ c. shredded coconut
- 8 canning jars
- In 1-quart saucepan, stir together Coconut Crystals and water. Heat to boiling on high, stirring occasionally; stir in blueberries and lemon juice. Remove from heat. Let cool completely.
- In large bowl, with mixer on medium speed, whip cream until soft peaks form. Gently fold in cooled blueberry mixture.
- Place a single layer of angel food cake on bottom of 1 canning jar. Top with 2 tablespoons strawberries, then 2 tablespoons blueberry whipped cream. Repeat layering of cake, strawberries, and whipped cream. Repeat with remaining 7 jars. Serve immediately, or replace screw caps and refrigerate up to 1 day. Before serving, top each parfait with 1 tablespoon coconut.
- 1 unbaked double pie crust recipe
- 1/2 cup Coconut Crystals
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1 Tbsp of butter, cut into tiny pieces
- 1 Tbsp. milk
- Stevia for sprinkling
Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Toss together the pitted cherries, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, almond extract, vanilla extract and corn starch in a large bowl until evenly coated.
- Roll out the bottom pie crust, and gently lay it in a 9-inch pie pan. Transfer the cherry filling to the pie crust, and sprinkle with little dots of butter.
- Roll out the top pie crust, and either lay on top and cut a few slits in the middle to make a full double pie crust or cut the top pie crust into strips to make a lattice pie crust. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or freeze for 10 minutes, before baking.
- Place the pie in the middle rack, with a baking sheet or pie of aluminum foil on the rack below to catch any pie drippings. Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce the temp to 350°F and cook for 35-45 additional minutes, or until the crust is nicely golden and the filling is thick and bubbly.
- Remove and allow to cool completely before serving.
Enjoy and have a Happy & Safe Fourth of July!