- 12 oz whole wheat penne pasta
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb scallops, cut in half or quarters
- 1 cup organic chicken stock
- 5 large plum tomatoes, cut into thin wedges
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp grated lemon peel
- 1 bag baby spinach leaves
- 1/4 tsp crushed red peper flakes (optional)
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water with 1/2 a cup of chicken stock, until just tender but still firm to bite. Ladle 1 cup pasta cooking liquid into small bowl and reserve. Drain pasta. Return pasta to pot; cover to keep hot.
- Meanwhile. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Sprinkle scallops with pepper . add scallops and 2 tbsp of chicken stock to skillet and sauté 3-4 minutes. Add tomatoes. 4 tbsp basil lemon juice and lemon peel and sauté until scallops are cooked through, about 3-4 minutes. Add remaining chicken stock and red pepper flakes and simmer until sauce is reduced.
- Add spinach leaves to hot pasta: toss until spinach wilts. Add scallop mixture and toss to blend. Add enough of reserved pasta cooking liquid to moisten. Serve.